One of the biggest trends among high schools, college campuses, and on the street is vaping or using e-cigarettes. It’s marketed as and appears to be “healthier” than smoking cigarettes, though there are many facts that suggest otherwise and may not be as well known.
Here are some quick facts:
- One Juul pod = 1 pack of cigarettes
- Formaldehyde (the chemical used to preserve bodies for anatomy use) and antifreeze have been found as common ingredients in vapes and e-cigarettes
- Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of death in the United States
- Tiny pieces of toxic metals (like lead or nickel) are inhaled each time you use a vape
The FDA also cannot claim:
- The potential risks when used as intended. How much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use.
- Whether there are any benefits of using them
And yes, this is the organization that is supposed to be regulating what is safe/unsafe for United States consumers.
Next time you think about how cool vaping looks, remember that no one really knows the ingredients you are actually smoking.
Follow us on social media!